This list of crimes was compiled from censored police reports and written by Lydia Sprague. 

Old-fashioned whooping

Police responded to a bus stop in the 1500 block of West Dravus Street at 10:57 a.m. on June 26 after receiving a 911 call stating a man was attacking another man with a stick.

Responding officers spoke with the victim, who said the suspect attacked him with a wooden cane for no apparent reason as the victim got off the bus.

He said he was hit on his head and arms several times, and he used his bags to protect himself.

The suspect was still on the scene when police arrived, and he told a much different story than the victim.

He said the victim had thrown bricks at his family a few days before in Ballard, and that, on this day, the victim started hitting him with his bags and calling him a racial slur, instigating the suspect’s attack.

He said that he beat the victim with his hands and gave him an “old-fashioned a— whooping.”

Officers arrested the suspect for assault.

The suspect said the police weren’t taking the victim’s racial-slur claim seriously, so he would pursue legal action against the police for racism.

Unlocked unit

On June 23 at 3 p.m., a man in the 500 block of Roy Street called 911 after finding his storage unit had been broken into and several of his personal items had been taken.

He said he’d unlocked his storage locker the day before to get his golf clubs out and must’ve forgotten to lock it when he was done. He returned the day of the report to find it open and several items missing.

Police advised him to check Craigslist and report back if any of his stuff shows up for sale.

Extreme harassment

Police responded to a building in the 300 block of West Roy Street on June 30 after receiving 911 calls about a man with a gun harassing the manager and residents.

Responding officers pulled the gun off of the suspect and discovered it was a prop gun.

Witnesses and residents said the suspect had been harassing the manager and residents since the early afternoon.

Police were called when a witness saw the suspect walk into the building with a gun in his waistband. He was afraid because that suspect, who is also a resident, had made threats to kill the manager in the past.

Once the situation calmed down, police left without making any arrests.

When the officers were about two blocks away, they got another string of 911 calls, stating the suspect had gone back to harassing the manager and was now banging on the his door and yelling.

Police returned to the building.

The manager said he was talking with other residents in his office when the suspect walked by and glared at him through the window, yelling slurs at the residents.

At 3:15 p.m., the suspect returned to his office, standing outside the window. He stared at the victim and kept reaching into his shirt, as if he was reaching for a weapon, and with the thumb and index finger of his other hand, he made a gun gesture and pointed it at him.

He said the suspect has a history of harassing him and other residents and had threatened to kill him before.

After speaking with several witnesses — several of whom were crying and stating they no longer felt safe enough to live in the same building as the suspect — police arrested the suspect for felony harassment.