This list of crimes was compiled from censored police reports and written by Lydia Sprague.

Tough customer

An employee at a business in the 300 block of Denny Way called 911 after a customer assaulted him.

The employee was ringing up a customer at 6 p.m. on March 2 when the customer grabbed a wet-floor sign and swung it at him. The sign struck the employee’s left wrist and also hit the bar-code scanner.

Police and firefighters responded to the store. The suspect was gone when they arrived, but store employees reported to police seeing the customer in the stores in later days.

The employee injured his wrist, and the bar-code scanner was damaged. 


On March 1 at 4:56 a.m., police were called to the 200 block of Sixth Avenue North in response to a female reporting she had been sprayed in the face with pepper spray.

Police found the woman sitting on a bench outside of a hotel. She had red, puffy eyes and a runny nose and complained that her eyes were burning.

The hotel staff was able to provide water to flush out her eyes, and Fire Department medics assessed that she didn’t need any further medical aid.

The victim said she had been sprayed in the face by a friend whom she had driven to Seattle from Kent. She dropped off her friend near Aurora Avenue North and Denny Way.

After a couple hours, they met in the 600 block of Thomas Street. The victim said her friend walked up to her, and they started arguing about money. During the argument, her friend sprayed her in the face with a hand-held bottle of pepper spray.

After being sprayed, the victim ran to the lobby of a hotel and asked for help. The victim said she did not know where the suspect may have gone; she only knows she lives in Kent.

The victim asked police for a ride to a nearby friend’s apartment, stating she couldn’t see straight and she was worried the suspect may return to assault her again, so police gave her a ride. 

Night prowl

On Feb. 28 at 1:18 a.m., police responded to a reported burglary in progress.

The 911 caller, who works in the 200 block of West Mercer Street, said he was walking in a hallway when he saw a man wearing a ski mask and gloves trying to open one of the office doors. He asked him what he was doing, and the man immediately took off running toward the back of the building.

The man was holding a black computer bag and a crowbar. He dropped both items on the floor before he ran off.

The worker called 911 and exited the building. He waited for police out front. Several units arrived within two minutes. A containment was set up around the building, and three officers went inside and checked every door on the first floor, but they did not find the suspect.

The police discovered the suspect had broken a window, entered an office, went to the conference room and broke a window. There was also a broken plant and a broken chair.

A canine unit responded to the scene and attempted to find the suspect; however, the suspect was never located.

The suspect’s ski mask was found outside the building.

Police couldn’t determine how the suspect entered the building, as an access card is needed.

Burgled business

Police responded to a burglary at a building in the 200 block of Ninth Avenue North at 8 a.m. on March 2. The building houses three businesses, but only one business was broken into. Police found no evidence of the front reception area was entered.

The building owner noted that the overnight security guard reported noticing the gate in the alley open at 5 a.m.; this gate is usually closed and locked. This report correlates with police findings of pry marks on a door in the alley that lead to the business.

The burglar attempted to pry an entry door and also the large window to the left of the door. The window had a hole in it large enough to reach a hand and arm through to unlock the door.

Inside, one of the windows had been smashed, and one of the offices had two doors kicked in. All of the offices had been ransacked.

There was also a storage room that was rummaged through, and petty cash was taken from there. Some workers also reported their laptop computers were missing.

Compromised site

On March 3, police responded to a fenced construction site in the 1900 block of Thorndyke Avenue West that had been broken into sometime overnight before 7 a.m.

It is not known how the burglar got in. The burglar went to all of the floors and took several items. The burglar also tried to break into some large metal boxes containing power tools but was unsuccessful.