This list of crimes was compiled from censored police reports and written by Lydia Sprague

Key-box raid

On March 10 at 5:40 p.m., police responded to a burglary at a home in the 100 block of Sixth Avenue North. The victim said that, while he was at work, someone broke into his home and stole some paperwork.

He said it looked like the burglar had gone through his belongings, but the only thing that he knew was missing were some documents, including tax informationbills and receipts.

The officer searched for fingerprints but found none.

There were no signs of forced entry; police believe the burglar used a key. All of the keys to the entire complex had been stolen from the office, according to the police report.

Police responded to a separate 911 call from the building’s management. They said, sometime between noon and 5:40 p.m., somebody broke into the lobby and pried open the key box containing all the keys to all the units in the building. It also had the keys to the offices and other rooms.

The suspect then entered the locked office using a key and went through all of the drawers and closets. A group of files associated with three units had been taken from a file cabinet.

The manager said she didn’t think any of the tenants had anything to do with it. One other unit was broken into after the keys were stolen.

Unlocked front door

Police responded to a reported burglary at a home in the 500 block of Highland Drive at 7 a.m. on March 11.

One of the residents said they woke up this morning to discover that both of their wallets were missing. A purse had also been emptied, with some coins and papers lying on the floor.

They said they couldn’t remember if they locked their front door the night before; they had gone to bed at 11:30 p.m. There were no signs of forced entry.

The victims received a call from someone who found the victim’s employee card in the bushes at Third Avenue and Cedar Street. The victim went down to the area and got his card but was unable to locate anything else.

Police advised the victims to lock their doors at night. 

Stolen sandwich

Police responded to a shoplift at a grocery store at First Avenue and Mercer Street in which the shoplifter fought with store security at 4 p.m. on March 16.

Store security said they watched the suspect enter the store, grab a sandwich and conceal it in his jacket pocket. The man walked out the door, and security stopped him. The man denied stealing and then shoved the security officer in the chest and punched him in the eye.

The security officer said he hit the suspect back in the chest and pushed him back against a wall. A bystander stepped in and assisted the security officer with placing the suspect in handcuffs. The security officer brought the suspect back inside until police officers arrived and retrieved the sandwich from his jacket pocket.

The suspect refused to comply with police, who arrested him and booked him into King County Jail for robbery. 

Smashed wall

Sometime between March 15 and 17, someone attempted to break into a store in the 400 block of Eighth Avenue North by smashing through a wall from next door.

One of the doors to the alleyway had been recently pried open, and there were fresh tool marks on the door. Once the burglar got inside, he knocked two holes through the adjoining wall.

The first hole came out on the exterior loading-dock area and did not give any access to the interior of the store. The second was about 25 feet from the first. The hole formed a “T” with an interior wall of the store, but the suspects hit several studs and could not gain any entry.

Once the suspects had opened the door from the inside, they shoved a screw into the latch to prevent the bolt from extending and securing the door.

Several doors in the building were left unlocked by the burglars.

There were several shoeprints near the holes in the wall. The suspect had walked through the dust and debris from a broken cinderblock wall.

The vacant property is scheduled for demolition in the next few months.