This list of crimes was compiled from censored police reports and written by Lydia Sprague.

New Year’s brawl

On Jan. 13, around 2:30 p.m., a man walked into the West Precinct to get a case number for a report he filed. 

He said that on News Year’s Eve, he was in a parking lot near Fourth Avenue North and Denny Way to watch fireworks. There were a lot of people gathered there, and at one point, two groups of young men started to argue with each other. 

After the fireworks started, the groups continued to argue back and forth, and eventually, a fight broke out. 

One of the men turned on the victim and began attacking him; the victim said he thinks the man thought he was with the other group. 

The attacker struck the victim several times with forceful blows to his face. The victim suffered fractured bones in his face. 

The victim gave police a description of the suspects and their cars. He wasn’t sure if police responded to the fight at the time. 

Street robbery

On Jan. 11 at 11:30 p.m., police were dispatched to Fourth Avenue North in response to a 911 call reporting a strong-armed robbery. 

The caller said he’d been robbed of cash near Fifth Avenue North about 30 minutes before. Officers responded to the man’s house and spoke with him.

The man said he’d parked his car on Ward Street and went for a walk around lower Queen Anne around 11 p.m. He decided to stop by his bank in the 800 block of Fifth Avenue North to get some cash out of the ATM inside. He got $120 out and put the money into his pocket. 

He exited the bank and walked northbound on Fifth Avenue, back toward his car. When he was about two blocks away from his car, he heard someone walking behind him. 

A male voice said, “Give me your money,” and he was pushed from behind. The push caused him to stumble, and he turned around to see three men confronting him. 

One of the men punched him in the stomach, causing him to double over. Another reached into his pocket and took his money. All three suspects then ran off westbound on Ward Street. 

He told police he drove home and waited 30 minutes to report the incident. He said that he only called because his parents told him to. 

Building break-in

Police were dispatched to a burglary call at a residential building in the 3000 block of 17th Avenue West at 11:25 a.m. on Jan. 3. Building staff showed officers video of a couple who pried open the building’s front door, an office door, the elevator lock box and two other common areas. 

They opened several packages that were inside the office and took two. One package contained a bottle of olive oil, and the other package contained a framed photograph.

Police later found the two boxes in different locations in the building. 

The suspects also stole two iPads and a charger from the office. 

The suspects also entered several locked common areas. In one room, they cut the electrical cord to a large flat-screen TV but didn’t take it. 

The burglary was captured on numerous surveillance cameras inside the building. 


On Jan. 3 at 7:43 a.m., police responded to a 911 call reporting a home in the 3000 block of 14th Avenue West had been broken into the previous day. 

The complainant said he noticed the front door was damaged at 11 p.m. the previous evening. It appeared that a crowbar was used to pry the lock and doorknob area, and the burglar was successful in getting the door open. 

Police searched inside the home and didn’t find anyone inside. They did discover that it had been ransacked. The back sliding glass door was also open. 

The burglar went from room to room and opened every cabinet and drawer. It appeared that they spent considerable time searching cupboards and drawers. 

Police didn’t think the suspects took large items; instead, they took several smaller items from drawers and cabinets. 

A small package had been left at the front door for several days. Police determined that the burglar probably figured out that the victim was out of town, which would explain why so much time was spent going through each cabinet. 

Police checked the parking garage and found both of the victims’ cars still there.

Stolen pot

The owner of a medical marijuana store on 15th Avenue West called 911 around 1 a.m. on Jan. 2. He said he left the building at 11:45 p.m. to watch the fireworks, and when he returned at 1 a.m., he discovered that some windows were broken and 10 jars of marijuana were gone. 

Somebody had thrown a rock through the windows, entered and taken the marijuana. The suspect likely left through the door that was left open but had previously been locked. 

There was a visible foot smudge on the outside of the door as if someone unsuccessfully tried to kick in the door open. 

The business owner said he believes that the suspects may be two juvenile males that he has seen lurking around the business recently.